One thing most people don’t think about before buying an RV, are the accessories you’ll need.
When we first got our RV, we were dreaming about hitting the road and making memories. Then, we realized we actually had a long ways to go before we were ready for that. It wasn’t as simple as signing the papers and taking off out of the parking lot.
Since we started from scratch the first time, we had zero RV accessories. We literally had to buy everything from the start. So, we set out to figure out what we would need. There are a lot of RV accessories, RV gear, RV gadgets, etc that you need to consider. The catch is, there’s not a lot of space on the rig, so you’re going to have to make every item count.
There was no other truly definitive item list I could find, so I decided to put our notes together for you.
Without further ado, I present the nearly 60 RV Accessories Must Haves (ok, some of them are not MUSTS, but they can make your life a lot easier).
- Shore Power – Shore power is what you call the main electricity hookup to your RV. You’ll need to make sure you have a cable that fits your RV in terms of either being 30amp or 50amp. Length can also vary, but I’ve gotten along well with a 30’ cable.
Camco 55542 25-Feet 50 AMP Standard Male / 50 AMP Locking Electrical Adapter
- Safe and Durable Construction: Extension cord is constructed with 100% copper wiring coated with a heavy duty flame retardant, heat resistant PVC sheath that serves as protection from outdoor elements, wear and tear.
- High Conductivity with a Flexible and Sleek Design: Bendable extension cord adapter allows easy conversion from a standard 50 Amp male to marine-style 50 Amp female locking connection. Rated for 125 Volts. Constructed with 10 gauge wires for greater conductivity.
- Hassle Free PowerGrip Plug: The patented PowerGrip handle eliminates frustration by assisting users in safely and conveniently gripping, plugging, and unplugging the male and female ends without straining or damaging the cord.
- Sewer Hoses – You’ll need to assess your setup to know exactly what you need, but here’s an example of my setup.
INSERT IMAGE.OF SEWER SETUP
I have two gray tanks and two black tanks, plumbed to a front drain and a back drain. So, it takes quite a bit of hose to connect them together, plus be able to reach the drain. As you can see, I have just the perfect amount of hose for this RV Park, but could easily run into a situation where it’s farther apart and need another 5’ piece.
Here’s a great all in one kit that includes two 10ft hoses (20ft total), plus a connector, which is my next recommendation, anyway:
SaleCamco RhinoFLEX 20ft RV Sewer Hose Kit, Includes Swivel Fitting and Translucent Elbow with 4-In-1 Dump Station Fitting, Storage Caps Included, Frustration-Free Packaging (39742)
- Includes two 10' RhinoFLEX sewer Hoses with pre-attached bayonet and lug Fittings, translucent elbow with 4-n-1 adapter and Four storage caps
- Fittings swivel for ease of use and are detachable
- RhinoFLEX sewer Hose is made of 23 mils of durable polyolefin and reinforced with Steel wire
- Clear Sewer Connector – The clear sewer connector will help you know when your tank is clean. Put frankly: when you stop seeing brown water and solid pieces passing through, you know you’re done dumping and flushing the tank. This can obviously be done without it being clear, but being able to see ensures you’re not just guessing.
SaleCamco RhinoFLEX Camper RV 4-in-1 Sewer Adapter Elbow with Swivel Bayonet Fitting - Fits Securely Into Dump Station Connection, Compatible with Any Lug Fitting (39736)
- RV sewer elbow adapter fits securely into dump station connection
- Elbow is clear and fitting rotates 360 degrees
- Compatible with any lug fitting
- RV Toilet Paper – If you’re spoiled with soft, thick toilet paper at home, then I’m sorry. RV Toilet Paper is thin and scratchy. But make sure you’re using special RV Toilet Paper. Regular toilet paper will clog your system.
SaleAqua-Soft Toilet Tissue - Toilet Paper for RV and marine - 2-ply - Thetford 03300 (Pack of 4)
- [VERSATILITY]: Aqua-Soft Toilet Tissue is designed to work with RV, marine, portable, or even with classic toilets
- [FUNCTIONALITY]: The luxurious 2-ply toilet paper is soft, snowy white, and highly absorbent
- [PERFORMANCE]: Specially designed to work with RV and marine waste systems, the toilet paper flushes easily and dissolves rapidly, helping prevent messy clogs
- RV Surge Protector – The infrastructure at RV Parks can be quite old and janky. One bad surge of power and you could fry your while rig. An RV Surge Protector can help prevent this.
There are two main types of surge protectors for RVs.
This one is only able to be “surged” once. So essentially, it will protect you from one surge, then it’s time to get a new one. I haven’t run into any issues yet, so I actually recommend this one instead of the more expensive one I’ll get to next.
SaleSurge Guard 44270 Entry Level Portable Surge Protector - 50 Amp
- Identifies faulty park power plus offers 4200 Joules of surge protection
- Analyzes circuits to verify pedestal power
- Indicators illuminate to show power status
This one has a reset, so if you get hit by a surge, just hit the reset and keep on going. It’s quite a bit more expensive, but can also last you longer.
Surge Guard 34830 Portable Model with LCD Display - 30 Amp
- Protects RV from faulty park power
- Built-in intelligence
- Automatic reset on power restoration
- Drinking Water Hose – You’ll want a specific drinking water hose to run the fresh water to your rig. Typically these are either white or blue, the standard colors to indicate clean, fresh water. You want to be able to know which hose specifically is for fresh water so you don’t run into any contamination issues. Here’s the exact one I use. I’ve heard a lot of people say to get 50ft, but 25ft has always been more than enough for us.
SaleCamco 25ft TastePURE Drinking Water Hose - Lead and BPA Free, Reinforced for Maximum Kink Resistance 5/8"Inner Diameter (22783)
- Made with NSF certified hose; drinking water safe
- Reinforced for maximum kink resistance
- 25' long x 5/8"ID
- Grey/Black Water Hose – This hose will be used to flush your tank. Since it’s going to used for connecting to your black tank, you’ll want to have a dedicated hose for this. I also recommend storing this hose in a different section than your freshwater set up, too.
Camco 25ft RhinoFLEX Gray/Black Water Tank Clean Out Hose - Ideal For Flushing Black Water, Grey Water or Tote Tanks 5/8" Inside Diameter (Orange) (22990)
- Ideal for flushing black water, grey water or tote tanks
- Keep contaminants separate from your drinking water hose or garden hose
- Compatible with standard garden hose threads
- Water Pressure Regulator – Mentioning again the infrastructure at some RV Parks, the water can be all over the place. All it takes is one blast of high powered water to blow out some of your pipes and lead to water damage in the rig. A water pressure regulator will ensure pressure doesn’t get above a maximum psi, protecting you from damage.
There are two popular choices for these. There’s a fancy one, that I don’t currently use, but will be switching to soon. It shows the actual pressure and is adjustable to pare the pressure down to your specification.
SaleRenator M11-0660R Water Pressure Regulator Valve. Brass Lead-free Adjustable Water Pressure Reducer with Gauge for RV Camper, and Inlet Screened Filter
- 2016 Improved Version. We have upgraded our brass regulator after examining other reviews; Our new lead-free regulator contains a more durable pressure gauge with oil to prevent friction of internal components, particularly low lead content, well under the lead free requirement, and comes with a 1 Year WARRANTY.
- Lead Free. This regulator was modified to contain lowest amount of lead of any regulator on the market. Each batch of regulators is tested to contain less than .13% lead, well under the NSF lead-free requirements of .25%. Email us for a copy of our testing certification.
- Regulator gauge contains oil to reduce friction of internal components and greatly increases the life of the product.
This water pressure regulator is the one I started with. It’s just a standard regulator with no gauge and isn’t adjustable, but it works great, and it automatically regulates down to the 40-50psi range
Camco RV Brass Inline Water Pressure Regulator- Helps Protect RV Plumbing and Hoses from High-Pressure City Water, Lead Free (40055)
- Helps protect RV plumbing and hoses from high-pressure city water
- Attaches easily with 3/4" garden hose threads
- Durable brass construction that is drinking water safe
- Chocks – Chocks are a must have for safety. You can do the under wheel kind, or the X Chocks. X Chocks are more highly recommended and hold better, but again, it’s up to your discretion, as long as they’re large enough to stop your RV from moving. A lot of people make the mistake of getting chocks that would be nothing more than a minor bump if their RV actually started to roll.
Here are the most popular chocks, which are highly recommended:
X-Chock Wheel Stabilizer - Pair - One Handle - 28012
- Provides added stabilization and prevents tire shifts by applying opposing force to tandem tire applications
- As opposed to other chocks, the X-Chock works with the tires' natural movement instead of against them
- Fits even the tightest of applications retracting down to 1 3/8 inches and extends to 12inches
- Leveling Blocks – There are many different leveling blocks available, but this, in my opinion, the best set. I’ve tried several and I love these. They come in a pack of 10, and I use them under my jacks, as well as under tires when I had to level side to side.
SaleTri-Lynx 00015 Lynx Levelers - 10 Pack
- Lynx Recreational Vehicle Leveling Kit, 10/Pack
- Modular designed levelers not only configure to fit any leveling function, but they also withstand tremendous weight
- To use: simply set them into a pyramid shape to the desired height that the RV needs to be raised and drive onto the stack
- Septic Tank Treatment – You’ll need to treat your septic tank to help the breakdown of waste. If you don’t remember to use these, you’ll have a smelly RV and potentially a clogged system. You can get liquid pour in type, or even bulk powder scoop type, but this single serves the most convenient and popular.
SaleWalex TOI-91799 Porta-Pak Holding Tank Deodorizer Drop-Ins, Sunglow Scent (Pack of 10)
- Unbeatable odor prevention
- Convenient zipper bag for easy storage
- RV Water Filter – You never know what kind of water you’ll have access to at your hookup, so you’ll definitely want an RV Water Filter. Some RVs have filtration systems standard, but otherwise, stick one of these on between your hose and your RV. I recommend the one with the flexible piece, as shown below, because you do NOT want your filter sticking straight out of your connection on the rig because it will be applying a lot of pressure down on the sometimes flimsy valves.
SaleCamco TastePURE Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector Greatly Reduces Bad Taste, Odors, Chlorine and Sediment in Drinking Water (40043)
- Inline Design and Higher Flow Rate- Water filter stays aligned with water hose during use and has a wide body for higher capacity and flow rate
- One Filter Per Camping Season - Can last an entire camping season and has Granular Activated Carbon to provide safe drinking water from any potable water source. Made in the USA and is CSA certified
- Built-In Filter Removes Bacteria, Carbon, and More- Reduces chlorine, odor, contaminants, sediment, and particulates for better taste and healthier drinking water. 20 micron sediment filter greatly reduces bad taste, odors, chlorine and sediment in drinking water, perfect for use at campsites. Extra Filtration with the Use of GAC and KDF Technology- Uses a KDF Fluid Treatment for filtration. Kinetic Degradation Fluxion (KDF) is a high-purity copper-zinc formulation that uses a basic chemical process known as redox (oxidation/reduction) to remove chemicals that give unpleasant odors or tastes to water such as hydrogen sulfide and chlorine. KDF also prevents the growth of fungus, bacteria and mold when the filter is not in use
- Hose Y – You will usually only have one water connecting at your site, so having a Y keeps you from having to switch back and forth between fresh and gray hoses. This one has quick on/off valve switches and is a heavy duty build.
Camco Stainless Steel Solid Brass Water Wye Valve- Easy Grip Valve Handles and Simple Water Hose Connection CSA Low Lead Certified - (20123)
- Stainless steel quarter-turn pressure seated shut-off valves
- Features easy-grip valve handles and hose connection
- Easy to use and durable
- RV Sewer Hose Support – I actually thought we could get by without these at first, but on your first trip, I had to make a run to the store to pick them up. I am amazed at how many spots have the sewer dump elevated much higher than the ground when you park. These will help keep things flowing in the right direction and mitigate you having to stand there lifting piece by piece to get the hose draining properly.
SaleCamco 20ft Sidewinder RV Sewer Hose Support, Made From Sturdy Lightweight Plastic, Won't Creep Closed, Holds Hoses In Place - No Need For Straps (43051)
- The Ultimate Protection and Support for Your Sewer Hose: The 20ft Sidewinder RV Sewer Hose Support by Camco lifts and cradles your sewer hose while in connection from your RV to the dump station. It keeps your sewer hose off the ground and prevents potential damage or punctures to your RV or camper sewer hose by safely nesting it in heavy duty plastic
- Hassle Free Preparation and Setup: Conveniently ready to use straight of the box with no assembly required! Comes complete with winding sidewinder RV sewer hose support, and orange custom fit storage handle that clasps on to your compressed Sidewinder for simple toting and handling
- Lightweight Yet Durable and Sturdy Frame: This all plastic design, creates a lightweight and weatherproof product made to last long. It is constructed with a rust and corrosion resistant plastic material that is durable enough to carry your hose over the roughest terrains
- Walkie Talkies – This might sounds silly, but walkie talkies, or two way radios, come in really handy when parking. When possible, you will want to have a spotter watching your blind spots as you park. I’ve seen a lot of people just use cell phones but there is a major issue, aside from potentially not having signal. Have you ever been able to see the person you’re speaking to on the phone? If so, you may have noticed their lips move before you hear their voice on your end. There is a slight lag in the connection between cell phones. This slight lag could be the difference between safe parking, or hitting something. When it comes to safety, especially with huge pieces of machinery like RVs, always err on the side of caution.
Arcshell Rechargeable Long Range Two-Way Radios with Earpiece 2 Pack UHF 400-470Mhz Walkie Talkies Li-ion Battery and Charger Included
- Small and convenient size;it easily fits on your hand;it measures 4.53 inches in height without antenna(antenna length:4.3 inches);1.30 inches thick;2.36 inches in width;6.3 oz light-weighted;solid built;water-resistant;easy to operate for all ages;2 Wattage power output; each radio has a removable belt clip
- Frequency range is UHF 400-470MHz;16 pre-programmed channels;each radio has identical frequency on each of the 16 channels out of the box;16 position mechanical rotary switch channel selector;when you turn the knob to change the channel,a synthesized voice will tell you the channel number;channel frequency is programmable within the frequency range;you can program any of 50 CTCSS tones and 105 CDCSS tones on each programmed channel
- Each radio comes with a 1500mAh rechargeable Li-ion battery and a charging dock; the charger comes with an AC wall-wart Type A plug and works in 110v-240v; it takes about 2.5 hours to fully charge; battery life is determined by transmit time;it lasts around 8 to 96 hours on a single charge depending on how much you transmit;you can charge the battery alone or charge the radio with battery installed
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System – Continuing my rant about safety, this was one of my immediate purchases. Blowouts happen a lot. However, blowout signs can often be spotted ahead of time and you can correct the situation before something bad happens. You don’t want to risk having a blowout, heading down the road at 70mph, with your family in the vehicle and other drivers and families around you. It may be expensive, but please just get a Tire Pressure Monitoring System!
I did days of research and comparing before finally settling on this one, and I’m so glad I did. You won’t regret it, either.
EEZTire-TPMS4 Real Time/24x7 Tire Pressure Monitoring System - 4 Anti-Theft Sensors, incl. 3-Year Warranty
- REAL TIME/24X7 SAFETY & HIGH FUEL ECONOMY - EezTire TPMS system by EEZ RV Products is the industry leader in the RV TPMS market since 2005. It accurately monitors tire pressure and temperature for up to 26 tires and handle tire pressure up to 210 psi. EezTire TPMS system gives you PEACE OF MIND 24 x 7 when you are on the road or off the road. Maintaining proper tire pressure at all times ensures vehicle safety and helps achieve desired fuel economy.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY ALERT SYSTEM - the monitor is motion sensitive and monitors tire pressure and temperature on 6-second intervals continuously. It sends visual and audio warning alarms immediately when tire pressure or temperature falls outside the preset safety parameters. The monitor goes into power saving mode if no motion is detected in 15 minutes to save battery. The sensors send status signals to the monitor on 6-second intervals continuously as long as the sensors are under pressure
- EASY OPERATION & MAINTENANCE - EezTire TPMS monitor has one of the largest display screen on the market 4 ½" x 3". It takes minutes to setup and program. Pre-programming available by seller (please contact us for details). The monitor has a built-in rechargeable internal lithium battery that lasts up to 60 hours on a charge. Sensors have replaceable batteries. It comes with a common USB charging cord that can be connected to vehicle's cigarette lighter or USB port.
- Shower Head – There’s a good chance your RV came equipped with a frustratingly bad showerhead. Our first one did, too. You also most likely have a very small water heater and will camp at places with awful water pressure. It may sound silly, but I absolutely love this shower head because it addresses all of those issues. I’m no engineer, so I have no clue how it works, other than they have some patented design that actually uses less water, but creates a great pressure. It also has an on/off switch, which is very handy.
SaleETL White Standard Oxygenics 26781 Hand Held Sprayer Kit
- Powerful Oxygenic setting amplifies existing water pressure and widens coverage
- Easily control the flow of water with the push of a button
- Designed to achieve maximum performance with tank size and pressure limits
- Refrigerator Bars – Stuff moves while we drive. We learned the hard way to use bars to secure the stuff inside our refrigerator. One of our first trips, we parked and there was a busted drink inside from bouncing around too much.
SaleCamco 28" Double RV Refrigerator Bar, Holds Food and Drinks in Place During Travel, Prevents Messy Spills, Spring Loaded and Extends Between 16" and 28" - White (44073)
- Keep order in the RV refrigerator and cupboards during travel
- Spring loaded bars keep items in place
- Refrigerator bars extend from 16" to 28"
- Upgraded Sink Faucet with Sprayer – A lot of RVs come with really terrible sink faucets and sprayers. This amazes me because they’re such an easy, affordable change that gives a much better feel. The sprayer in our first RV looked good, but didn’t work too well in function; if we extended the hose, it stayed extended until you got beneath the sink and pulled on the hose to retract it yourself. Here’s a great swivel sink sprayer you can probably pop in on your own in 15 minutes or less.
Dura Faucet Kitchen Pull-out Faucet for 5th (Fifth) Wheels, RVs, Motorhomes, Travel Trailers, and Campers (Brushed Satin Nickel)
- FEATURES | This single lever faucet features a pull-out sprayer, which toggles between stream and spray with the finger-friendly top button.
- DESIGN | This faucet has a streamlined look, pull-down sprayer for complete sink access, heavy duty metal construction, solid zinc lever handle, and a sturdy ceramic disc valve.
- QUALITY | Designed with quality in mind, and made to fit nearly any space, this faucet will provide the quality power you are seeking.
- Cabinet Liners – Again, things move a lot in transit. So, we try hard to keep stuff in place as much as we can. Cabinet liners will help you with that a bit. They won’t keep it from bouncing, but they definitely help it stick in place to avoid sliding around.
Gorilla Grip Original Drawer and Shelf Liner, Non Adhesive Roll (12" x 20' Size) Durable and Strong, for Drawers, Shelves, Cabinets, Storage, Kitchen and Desks (Black)
- STRONG GRIP: All of our non-adhesive drawer liners are engineered with the highest quality materials to reduce slipping and bunching in your drawers or cabinet shelves.
- DRAWER PROTECTION: Open grid construction allows drawer liners to breath and will help protect your cabinets from accumulating unwanted dirt and debris. Plus, these drawer liners are reversible, and can be easily cleaned with mild soap and a damp cloth or sponge.
- VERSATILE USES: Use this drawer liner in your kitchen cabinets, pantry, work station, laundry room, office space and more! Itís perfect for organizing your space and home.
- Refrigerator Fan – These refrigerators are typically small and, very powerful, or efficient. Plus, we’re taking them from turned off to turned on somewhat regularly, so they’re fighting to keep temp a lot. A refrigerator fan can help reduce your cool down time by up to 50%. Once cooled down, it helps maintain a steady temperature in the refrigerator, and prevent frost buildup. Huge potential payoff for a small investment on this one.
Valterra 3-Volt FridgeCool Fan, Refrigerator Fan for RV and Camper
- PORTABLE FRIDGE FAN: Compact, portable air circulation system for your RV or camper refrigerator
- ENERGY EFFICIENT: Continuously runs for 30 days on 2 D batteries to last you a full vacation
- REDUCES FOOD SPOILAGE: Foods stay fresh longer with circulated cool air
- RV Exhaust Vent Covers – Bugs love the hot air coming out of the various vents in RVs. They can get up in them and build nests, clogging up your systems. Measure your vents and then get some covers that fit appropriately.
JIAYI RV Exhaust Cover,Flying Insect Screen,RV Furnace Vent Cover,Protects RV Furnaces from Insects and Prevents RV Vent Damage,2.8" Stainless Steel Mesh Screens - Installation Tool Included-(2 Pack)
- Screen measures 2.8" diameter x 1-5/16" tall
- Fits most Duo-therm and Suburban furnace vents
- Protects the furnace from flying insect nests
- RV Vent Fan Covers – On some of the nice new RVs, they have rain sensing vents that will close automatically if you have them open and it starts to rain. But on most setups, you just have to remember to close them. Sometimes people can forget. Ask me how I know! 🙂 If you put a cover over your vent on the roof, you can eliminate this risk. They can even protect enough to have your vents open while driving in case you forget to close them (I did NOT learn that the hard way, but I’ve gotten close!)
MAXXAIR 00-955002 Black Fanmate Cover with Ez Clip Hardware
- 25" length x 18-1/8" width x 10-1/4" height
- Superior rain protection
- Less than 5% airflow restriction
- Headlamp – Odds are, you’ll end up doing things at night. Most of us have cell phones with flashlights, which is what I use when I’m stumbling my way around in the morning, but if you’re trying to set up at a site, or break down to hit the road, you need your hands free. This has come in extremely helpful many times.
SaleFoxelli Headlamp Flashlight - 165 Lumen, 3 x AAA Batteries Operated, Bright White Cree Led + Red Light, Perfect for Runners, Lightweight, Waterproof, Adjustable Headband, 3 AAA Batteries Included
- SUPER BRIGHT CREE-3W LED TECHNOLOGY (200 feet beam) - wide variety of white & red light modes + 45° tiltable body makes this headlight brightest and most versatile in its class. SOS and strobe mode will keep you safe in any situation.
- WATERPROOF AND DURABLE - why equip yourself with anything but the best and most reliable headlamp? MX20 is built to last. It is rated to IPX5, which means it is protected against splashing or spraying water from any angle.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMFORTABLE - you won't even notice wearing it. Weighing only 3.2 ounces (with batteries) with easily adjustable, ergonomically designed elastic headband makes this light perfect for long distance runners or anyone else looking for a comfortable fit.
- Hand Held Vacuum – It would be awesome to have the space for a residential vacuum, but space is of the essence. Plus there is usually a lot of hard floor in RVs, so you can typically sweep most of it and then finish off with the hand held. Or for just cleaning up spot messes. It amazes me the
collection at our entrance. Here’s a great one that has a lot of power, but it also budget friendly.
SaleBLACK+DECKER Dustbuster Cordless Vacuum, 16V (CHV1410L)
- Lithium Ion for long battery life and outstanding performance. Always ready - holds a charge for up to 18 months
- Long life, Lightweight, and no memory effect.Suction Power-15.2 AW; Dustbowl Capacity: 20.6 oz.
- Smart Charge Technology uses up to 50% less energy,air Watts: 15.2 Watts, Voltage: 16V MAX
- Toothbrush Holders – With the limited space, we found these to be really convenient. It helps get your toothbrush lifted up to dry better, while making use of otherwise potentially wasted space.
SaleCamco A Pop-A-Toothbrush Wall Mounted Holder With Germ Protecting Cover, Perfect For Traveling, Dorm Bathrooms and More, Holds 2 Toothbrushes- (White) (57203)
- Protects and stores the toothbrushes with easily-installed holder that guards against dust and germs
- Cover opens automatically when toothbrush is pulled forward
- Vented for quick drying
- Wifi Ranger – One of those items that isn’t a necessity, but if you or your family want to be connected, I almost promise you this will be worth it at some point. RV Internet is almost always a struggle, but this can help reduce a lot of headaches by taking a weak Wifi signal and boosting it to be more powerful for you and your family. It also encrypts your data. So, if you’re doing anything sensitive online, from shopping, to paying bills, to even just using passwords on websites and apps, you could be at risk on the public Wifi. Wifi Ranger will help keep your data safe.
- Mobile Hotspot – Again on the topic of how to get Internet in an RV. This is a different, but also great solution that I actually see more benefit in simply bc of it being so mobile. A mobile hotspot is having a device that takes the cell signal and sends out a Wifi signal for you and your family to connect to. It’s like when you turn your hotspot on on your phone. Except this device is dedicated solely to being a hotspot, so it’s much better at it than your phone. Plus, with Verizon, you can get an unlimited data only plan that is on a month to month basis (no contract)! That means you can turn the service on when you are going on a trip and turn it off when you won’t be using it. This is really a great set up for RVers.
Here’s an article I wrote that explains the best setup for RV Internet.
But for the sake of this list, here’s the Mobile Hotspot I recommend.
- Portable Folding Propane Grill – There are a ton of great grills out there, so I set out to research the heck out of them before settling on this one. It’s been awesome! Personally, I’ve always been a charcoal griller, and I have a great kamado style grill at home, but I told Melanie I’m tempted to get one of these instead because they’re just so fast and convenient. Plus they really have enough grilling surface to cook a lot of food. This is a super popular pick for RVers due to how good it is, while also folding down to be pretty compact.
SaleColeman RoadTrip LXE Portable Propane Grill, Blue
- Portable propane grill ideal for tailgating, picnicking, and camping
- Delivers 20,000 BTUs of heat across 285 square inches of grilling surface
- Swaptop interchangeable cooktops allow you to switch grill grates out for griddle and stove grates (sold separately)
- Grilling Utensils – You could always bring your set from home, but it’s one more thing to have to pack, and one more chance of forgetting. I suggest grabbing a spare set to keep in the RV, so you know it’s always there and ready.
Home-Complete BBQ Grill Tool Set- Stainless Steel Barbecue Grilling Accessories with 7 Utensils and Carrying Case, Includes Spatula, Tongs, Knife
- COMPLETE SET- This set comes with everything you need for a successful cook out and even has a bottle opener on the spatula. Flip hot dogs or burgers with the spatula or tongs, check the steaks with the fork and knife, or create kabobs with the skewers.
- CONVENIENT STORAGE- With an included carrying case, you can easily store this bbq set between uses and ensure that each tool is neatly organized. The case also makes it easy to take these tools on-the-go to picnics, while camping, tailgating and more.
- STAINLESS STEEL- Each barbecue tool is made from quality stainless steel which is rust resistant for long-lasting reliability. Stainless steel tools are also more durable than wood alternatives as they will not crack after extended use.
- RV Cover – You can usually identify an older RV pretty quickly when you see one. That’s because they don’t paint them like they do cars. The paint easily fades and chalks up as it oxidizes. There’s probably no preventing this, but you can definitely slow it down. Grab an RV cover to throw on when your rig isn’t in use, if you’re storing it outdoors. You’ll need to make sure to select the right size and type for your RV, but here’s the most popular to get you started.
SaleLeader Accessories Travel Trailer RV Cover Fits 27'-30' Trailer Camper 3 Layer Size 366" L102 W104 H with Adhesive Repair Patch
- Fits RV 27'-30',Size:366"L*102"W*104"H,Attention： This normal RV cover is not include Assist Steel poles
- Durable Material: Thick, triple-ply top and single-ply sides protect against rain, snow, dirt, mildew, birds droppings and scratches for all-weather protection. Reduces premature aging of RV and helps maintain resale value.
- Adjustable front and rear tension panels and elasticized hem corners provide a custom fit. Air vent system reduces wind stress and vent inside moisture.
- RV Wheel Covers – Tires are one of the most important things on your RV when it comes to safety, so it’s always better to treat them right. There’s a reason when you go to most storage facilities, you see people with tire covers on. Grab a set of these that fits your RV tires.
SaleTire Covers for RV Wheel ELUTO Set of 4 Motorhome Wheel Covers Waterproof Oxford Cotton Tire Protectors Tire Covers Fits 27" to 29" Tire Diameters
- Set of 4 covers:Fits 27" - 29" tire diameters.Fit wheel for RV, Motorhome, Jeep, car ,truck, camper. Please measure before purchasing.Please search ASIN：B07JQ6WB7W，if need 2 Set of Tire Covers.
- Waterproof oxford & cotton wool lining.Prevent tire oxidation, sun damage,corrosion and damage by the frost.
- Hook design: Convenient to install and disassemble,prevent the tire cover blown away by the wind, ensures more secure fit.
- RV GPS – I went ahead and included this for a few reasons. I absolutely think RVers should use GPS in some capacity. Trying to navigate the old fashioned way, while driving or pulling thousands and thousands of pounds isn’t always the best situation. But, a lot of people can simply use their cell phone for GPS these days, so you may not actually need a stand alone GPS. Here is my exact recommendation:
If you can use your cell phone safely, whether you mount it, or ideally, you have Android Auto or Apply Car Play, do that. It’s hard to beat Waze or Google Maps. You can even get creative; for example, if you have the mobile hotspots we were talking about, you can even mount a tablet, (I don’t believe iPads have GPS chips, so probably have to use an Android based tablet), and have a nice big screed dedicated to simply being a GPS.
Here’s a mount to achieve this setup
Arkon Sticky Suction Windshield or Dash Tablet Mount for iPad Pro iPad Air Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2
- Fits tablets 7 to 18.4 inches in screen size
- Sticky suction mount base provides bond on smooth surfaces
- Support legs are customizable and adjustable
Continuing this note, I’ve found Waze is excellent when you’re in your tow vehicle, but not really the best when you’re in your full setup. Waze will often redirect you through neighborhoods to shave off a bit of time; great, if you can maneuver well! Not so great if you’re 50 feet long! Google Maps, however, does a good job of keeping you on main roads. It also usually tells you which turning lane you need to be in, which I absolutely love. No more having to immediately push my way into a lane or miss my next turn, when I have a series of quick turns in a busy area.
If you can’t or don’t want to use your phone, there are some incredible RV GPS devices out there that are literally made specifically with big rigs in mind. Here’s the highest recommended one.
Garmin RV 770 NA LMT-S RV Dedicated GPS Navigator Essential Camping Accessory Bundle includes Car Charger, Cleaning Cloth, Screen Protectors, Hardshell Case and Bamboo Stylus Mini
- Garmin RV 770 LMT-S GPS
- UGC-102-BL Dual 12V Car Charger for GPS
- PocketPro XL Hardshell Case
- Toolset – Nothing fancy here, but you will definitely need your basics. Let’s be honest for a minute; no matter how new or nice an RV is, things will break. Being RVers, we will also probably just want to tweak things, so having a toolset with at least the basics is vital.
SaleDEKOPRO 168 Piece Socket Wrench Auto Repair Tool Combination Package Mixed Tool Set Hand Tool Kit with Plastic Toolbox Storage Case
- HIGH QUALITY&STANDARDS:Forged from high-quality steel and finished in high-polish chrome,strength, durability, anti-corrosion protection.All the tools meet or exceed ANSI critical standards
- COMPLETE VARIETIES:Contains tools needed for most small repairs and basic DIY projects around the house.Perfect for Handyman's, repairmen, construction workers, mechanics, body shops etc. also a great tool set to have at home, garage and the workshop
- INCLUDES:Comprehensive assortment of professional-grade wrenches, ratchets, a complete range of 1/4 inch and 3/8inch metric-sized sockets and precision screwdriver, hammer, tape measure, pliers, wrench,and etc. The 72-tooth ratchet easily shift to change direction by flick of 5-degree switch.Variety of 1/4-inch screwdriver bits: Phillips, slotted, square, star and pozi.Also includes soft-grip handle on screwdriver, plier, srtipper and hammer provides excellent comfort and control
- Torque Wrench – Wow, I talk about tire safety a lot! You’ll want to regularly check your wheel lug nuts for torque, to ensure they haven’t rattled lose. Plus, if you pull with the Andersen Ultimate Hitch, you need a torque wrench to install or remove the hitch sufficiently. Here’s an excellent one I use.
SaleTEKTON 24335 1/2" Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-150'.-Lb./13.6-203.5 Nm)
- Wrench emits click that can be heard and felt when the preset value is reached
- High-contrast dual-range scale is easy to read, even in low light
- Reversible ratchet head drives in both directions and measures torque in clockwise direction
- Bed Sheets – Totally Melanie’s domain, but she sure picks some good ones. You can always just reuse your bed sheets from home, but for convenience, it’s nice to have your own set of RV sheets.
- First Aid Kit – Even if you’re glamping, you’re still out in nature and run the risk of injury. Even if it’s nothing major, just need a band aid for a scraped knee for your kid, it’s always good to have a First Aid Kit. Here’s an excellent one that’s packed full of useful items, but compact enough to be stowed away easily.
SaleTripworthy Compact First Aid Kit for Medical Emergency - for Home, Car, Camping, Hiking, Sport, Work, Office, Boat, Survival, and Traveling - Small and Lightweight First Aid Bag
- 2018 FDA APPROVED, MEDICAL-GRADE QUALITY: Satisfied with only the highest standards, we loaded this first aid box with premium medical supplies for emergency and survival situations. This first aid kit was assembled in an FDA-approved facility.
- CONVENIENT, COMPREHENSIVE CARE: This ultimate survival kit consists of everything that you need to clean and dress minor wounds in a convenient mini pouch . Our first aid bag also includes a premium selection of emergency-preparedness supplies.
- DURABLE, LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE DESIGN: Redesigned for 2018 with maximum efficiency and portability, this complete, compact first aid kit weighs only 1 pound and features a compact, travel-friendly design. Perfect for cars, schools, and boats.
- Collapsible Hamper – Collapsible anything is useful with the limited space. Collapsible hampers are awesome, though. Here’s the one we recommend.
SaleHousehold Essentials 2026 Pop-Up Collapsible Mesh Laundry Hamper | Black
- LIGHTWEIGHT, portable pop-up hamper with carrying straps
- SOLID POLYESTER bottom for durability
- HEAVY-DUTY polyester mesh sides allow maximum air circulation
- Gas/Fuel Can – If you have a generator, this is a must. If you don’t have a generator, I still recommend it. I travel with a 5 gallon fuel can in the back of my truck for those “what if” moments. There have been times we were out west, cruising along just fine, then all of a sudden we find ourselves headed up into the hills/mountains, plus the head wind or cross wind is nailing us, and I just watch that fuel gauge dropping faster. The gas stations can be few and far between out there as well. It’s always good to prepare for the what if.
SaleNo-Spill 1405 2-1/2-Gallon Poly Gas Can
- Thumb button control for precise pouring
- 7/8-inch funnel spout fills even the smallest equipment
- Attached dust cover keeps your spout clean
- Bubble Level – Being in an unlevel RV is no fun. It can also damage your equipment, like the refrigerator, and make your pipes not flow properly. Always ensure your RV is level. If you have slides, sliding them out when unlevel can twist and bind them, too. I started with just a normal construction level and I’d go check the kitchen counter and floor for level, but then I installed a bubble level outside, by my jack buttons, and it was a game changer!
SaleHopkins 08525 Graduated Level
- Designed to take the guesswork out of RV leveling
- Markings indicate how many inches are required to raise or lower a trailer or vehicle
- Optional screw holes for permanent mounting
- Camping Mat – Maybe it’s just us, but our shoes get dirty! The worst has been when we stayed at the beach and no matter what you do, there is always some sand on your shoes. This rug helps grab the dirt, sand, whatever, and lets it fall down in it’s cracks. It’s done wonders for helping keep the floors clean inside the RV.
Reversible Mats 116097 Outdoor Patio 6-Feet x 9-Feet, Brown/Beige RV Camping Mat
- Breathable material won't damage grass
- UV coated to protect against fading and other sun damage
- Soft and durable 100% virgin polypropylene material
- Portable Tankless Air Compressor – Are we back on tire safety again? Having a Tire Pressure Monitoring System is awesome, but if you can’t do anything about it, it’s only half the solution. Between RVs and their tow vehicle, there are a lot of tires to consider. Odds are, you’ll need to put air in them at some point. Having the ability to do that quickly and easily is important. Make sure you have a compressor with high enough PSI. Here’s the top recommendation.
PORTER-CABLE CMB15 (1.5 Gallon) Oil-Free Fully Shrouded / Hand Carry Compressor Kit (icludes 25' Hose)
- 2.0 SCFM at 90 psi allows for quick compressor recovery time, per ISO1217
- 1.5 gal tank in shroud is easy to carry, includes water drain valve and rubber feet
- 150 psi max tank pressure stores more air in the tank for longer tool runtimes
- Portable Ice Maker – We started out using ice trays and eventually found ourselves just not using ice because it was a pain, and took us valuable freezer space. We saw some people parked next to us using a portable ice maker and loved the idea! They’re super handy and affordable. Definitely a great addition in terms of convenience factor.
SaleVremi Countertop Ice Maker - Ice Cubes Ready in 9 Mins - Makes 26 lbs Ice in 24 hrs - Perfect for Water Bottles, Mixed Drinks - Portable Stainless Steel Ice Maker with Ice Scoop and Basket
- DESIGNED TO MAKE PERFECT ICE, FAST - Our ice maker works quickly, making 9 chewable, delicious, bullet-shaped ice-cubes in one cycle, in just 8 to 10 minutes-and up to 26 lbs of ice in 24 hrs. Each ice cube weighs 8 grams making it perfect for mixed drinks or small water bottle openings
- COMPACT, PORTABLE ICE MACHINE - Good things come in small packages. Measuring at 9.5 x 12 x 13.5 inches, this ice maker can go anywhere. Since it doesn't need a water hookup, it's an ideal choice for barbeques, outdoor parties, or basement bars. And, since it's flexible, light and easy to store, you can bring it nearly anywhere
- INTELLIGENT FEATURES - You do enough thinking; let us help out. Our ice maker prevents overflowing with warning lights and an automatic shut-off feature for when the ice basket is full or if water needs to be refilled. It doesn't need any complex installation either; just set it upright and leave it for 24 hours to settle its coolant before use
- Folding Camping Chairs – Odds are, you’ll want to spend some time outdoors, grilling, hanging out, watching the kids play, whatever it might be. You need a place to sit. Here are some super comfortable chairs that aren’t priced out of this world.
SaleColeman Cooler Quad Portable Camping Chair
- Camping chair combines a cozy design with a convenient built-in cooler
- Built-in 4-can cooler pouch keeps cold drinks within reach
- Fully cushioned seat and back provide support and comfort
- Folding Table – Not everywhere has a picnic table, plus counter space is just handy. Here’s a great foldable table to grab.
SaleColeman Compact Folding Table
- Ultra-compact aluminum folding table ideal for camping and outdoor cookouts
- Aluminum slat top and strong steel frame offer ample support and surface area
- Snap-together design assembles and folds up with ease
- Propane Firepit – It seems like more and more places do not allow burning open wood fires. A huge part of camping is sitting around a fire and enjoying nature. This propane firepit is excellent. It gives you a chance to still enjoy that sitting around a campfire feel. The kids can roast their marshmallows. Highly recommended!
- Portable Charger – RV manufacturers are doing a much better job these days, but most RVs don’t have many power outlets, so they quickly get used up. I like having a battery pack ready to go, so I can just charge up from my pocket, or in my backpack and not worry about my phone being tether to a wall. It’s also great for Theo, when he wants to get some tablet time on the couch and the plug doesn’t reach there.
SaleAnker PowerCore 10000 Portable Charger, One of The Smallest and Lightest 10000mAh External Battery, Ultra-Compact High-Speed-Charging-Technology Power Bank for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and More (Black)
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 10 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Remarkably Compact: The smallest and lightest 10000mAh portable charger. Provides almost three-and-a-half iPhone 6s charges or three Galaxy S6 charges.
- High-speed-Charging Technology: Anker's exclusive PowerIQ and VoltageBoost combine to deliver the fastest possible charge for any device. Qualcomm Quick Charge not supported.
- Dehumidifier – Humidity can be one your RVs worst enemies. Stuff can warp and mold easily. We really noticed this on our month long trip in Florida at the beach. Here’s a great, compact dehumidifier we highly recommend.
SaleNew and Improved Eva-dry E-333 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier
- Spill and mess free and is non-toxic, child and pet safe
- The unit lasts 20-30 days before renewing. Capacity 4 oz - 6 oz
- Works in areas up to 333 cubic feet, requires no batteries or cords for use
- Odor Eliminator – There just tends to always be a smell in an RV. Not always a bad smell, but it’s just a small space without much airflow, so things can be stuffy and stagnant. Spread these out around your RV and//or your car they’ll work on purifying the air and getting rid of the smells.
SaleBamboo Charcoal Air Purifying Bag (4 Pack), 200g Natural Air Freshener Bags, Activated Charcoal Odor Eliminators, Car Air Purifier, Closet Freshener, Home Air Freshener, Charcoal Bags in Grey Color
- ACTIVATED CHARCOAL ODOR ELIMINATOR for a FRESH & HEALTHY HOME: Made from 100% activated bamboo charcoal, our air purifier charcoal bag is the most convenient, most practical and safest solution to keep your home free from any kind of unpleasant smell. Besides being an effective odor remover charcoal packet, this natural air deodorizer is also an air purifier protecting your family from mold, mildew and air-borne pathogens that cause allergies and common diseases
- EFFECTIVE HOME ODOR ELIMINATOR WITH SUSTAINABLE BENEFITS: Our air freshener charcoal bags are not just amazing home odor absorbers and car air freshener bags. It's also an air purifier bag that helps take care of the earth. This bamboo deodorizer bag is fragrance-, residue- and chemical-free. Our activated charcoal odor absorber bag also has great anti-bacterial properties that are biodegradable-- in case you throw it away, the activated charcoal bag will never harm the earth
- ACTIVATED CHARCOAL BAGS THAT WON'T DISAPPOINT: Every purchase of our bamboo activated charcoal air purifier bag from any California Concepts authorized seller comes with an exclusive California Home Goods chance for a money-back. We are so confident in the quality of our activated charcoal air freshener bag that we are always ready to address your concerns. In case you're unhappy with your purchase of our oder absorbers, just reach back out and we'll improve your overall experience
- Small Bungees – You will probably have a lot of hoses and wires hanging around. I’ve been guilty of not organizing these the best, but it really looks good and helps for quicker clean up, too.
Here’s a look at my set up before I got these bungees. Not awful, but definitely could be better.
INSERT IMAGE OF OUR SETUP
Now, here’s the set up that inspired me to get these. Everything is so nice and tidy.
Cartman Bungee Cords Assortment Jar 24 Piece in Jar - Includes 10”, 18”, 24”, 32”, 40” Bungee Cord and 8” Canopy/Tarp Ball Ties
- Designed to secure objects to the vehicle
- Made from rubber cords for superior strength
- (6) 18", (4) 24", (2) 32", (2) 40", (6) 10"mini cords and (4) canopy ties
- Car Power Inverter – When you’re cruising down the road, there is the potential of having several devices needing to charge up. Maybe your kids have DVD players to keep them entertained on long hauls.
BESTEK 300W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Car Inverter with 4.2A Dual USB Car Adapter
- BESTEK Advantage: America's leading power inverter brand. Provides 300 Watts continuous DC to AC power and 700 Watts instantaneous power, featuring 2 AC outlets and 2 USB ports
- Fast Charging: two 110V AC outlets for charging larger devices such as laptops and tablets, 2 USB charging ports (0-2.4A) for powering USB compatible devices, a good choice as requisite car accessories
- Ultra Compact and Lightweight: iPhone-sized design ideal for use on vacations, work trips, and camping. 24 inch cigarette lighter plug makes the power inverter can be plugged into almost any vehicle
- Streaming Stick – TV can also be a frustrating thing when at camping spots, so we usually find ourselves relying on streaming. If you don’t have a smart TV installed in the RV, you may want to get a streaming stick that gives you the smart TV features. I’ve used Chromecast, Fire TV Stick, and Roku. It’s all a matter of preference. Personally, I like Roku. Next up would be Fire TV Stick. I’m not an Apple user, but I’ve heard great things about Apple TV, as well. One of the cool things about Apple TV is also the ability to pull up a stream on your phone and then shoot it over to your Apple TV. If you have an unlimited data plan on your cell phone, this can come in very convenient.
SaleRoku Streaming Stick | Portable, Power-Packed Streaming Device with Voice Remote with Buttons for TV Power and Volume
- Powerful and portable streaming stick
- Voice remote with buttons for TV power and volume; Compatible with voice-enabled devices featuring
- 500,000+ movies and TV episodes, with voice search across 1,000+ top channels. Plus, catch hit movies, popular shows and more with no subscription or fees on The Roku Channel
- Sink Strainer – Odds are your RV doesn’t come with a garbage disposal, so you’ll need a strainer to ensure you aren’t dropping food bits down the drain and potentially causing clogs or rot issues.
SaleFengbao 2PCS Kitchen Sink Strainer - Stainless Steel, Large Wide Rim 4.5" Diameter
- 2PCS Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink Strainer.
- Stainless steel construction for reliable, rust-free service. Suited to daily utilitarian use for long-lasting protection against clogging.
- Micro-perforation: 2mm dia holes. Efficient anti-clogging shield lets liquid flow seamlessly into the drain while it blocks food particles.
- Power Strip – Newer RVs are better accommodating our electronic lifestyles, but most RVs still don’t have enough outlets, or outlets in the most usable spots. Power Strips are great additions. Depending on the amount of plugs you need, I like strips with USB for charging phones and tablets without taking up a full outlet space.
Power Strip with 3 USB 3 Outlet, Desktop Charging Station 5 ft Extension Cord for Cruise Ship - Black
- USB Power Hub - This slim desktop charger features 3 USB charging ports, saving you from plugging multiple charging cube, now you can charge all your devices on tabletop - your laptop, lamp, mobile phone or tablet.
- ON/OFF Switch - You can manually control USB and outlets of this tabletop power board, no need to plug and unplug the strip anymore. The small indicator light lets you know the power is active while does not cause bright light in the dark.
- Cruise and Dorm Room Essentials - NO surge protection, it's definitely a must have plug extender and bedside/nightstand charging station for college dorm room. Compact and lightweight to fit into luggage and briefcases during your trip outside.
- Dogbone Adapters – You may find yourself pulling into an RV Park with only an option of 50amp or 30amp, while your rig needs the opposite. A wishbone adapter can help ensure you’re always prepared to plug in, no matter what. I even carry one that adapts all the way down to 120V in case I find myself needing to plugin to a wall for some reason. This obviously wouldn’t power AC or anything big, but we could get some lighting.
If you have a 50amp RV, here’s a 50amp to 30amp converter.
SaleCommand by 3M Large Organizing Hooks, Strong and Versatile, 7 Hooks, Value Pack
- INCLUDES - 7 Large, white Command Utility Hooks and 12 Large Command Strips; 1 hook holds up to 5 lbs
- DAMAGE-FREE ORGANIZATION- Say goodbye to holes, marks, or sticky residue on your walls, doors, cabinets, or closets; Command Hooks by 3M are easy to use and help keep your walls looking beautiful
- NO TOOLS REQUIRED- Hang clipboards, brushes, dog leashes, kitchen utensils, and accessories where you want without nails or a hammer
- Febreze Vent Clips – RVs are a small, tight space. This means they can stink up pretty easily. Melanie likes to pop these Vent Clips in around the RV and it keeps it smelling fresh.
There you have it! This the the Definitive RV Accessories Must Have list! We are always finding new items to help make our RV life better or easier, so we’ll be updating this list as we go. But, we’d love to hear your ideas down below. Do you absolutely love something that we missed? Let us know by leaving a comment!
Last update on 2021-02-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API